Updated for 2017 Ingredients 2 tsp. salt 2 tsp. ground coriander 2 tsp. garam masala 2 tsp. ground cumin 2 tsp. ground turmeric 3 lbs, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs – cubed (1 inch)
Ingredients 2/3 cup chicken broth 2 tablespoon soy sauce, or as needed 2 tablespoon oyster sauce 4 teaspoons fish sauce 2 teaspoons white sugar 2 teaspoons brown sugar 4 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 pounds freshly chopped chicken thighs 1/2 cup sliced shallots 8 cloves garlic, […]
This makes a great side dish for something like fish curry.
- Kappa (Yuca or Tapioca root) – 4 cups cubed. About 1 large root
Yuca looks like this:
Mix for Part 1
- Coconut Powder – 1 cup
- Large onion – minced
- Small chili – 2-3, diced
- Chopped garlic – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- 3 Curry leaves – chopped
For cooking and final seasoning
- Coconut oil
- Large onion – Diced
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- 3 Curry leaves – chopped
- Coconut powder – 1.5 tbsp
Add water and salt to cleaned tapioca. The water level should be 2-3 inches higher than tapioca. Bring it to a boil and reduce the flame to the lowest. Cook till the tapioca is done. Drain the excess water. Mash the tapioca well.
Combine coconut powder, part 1 onion, green chili, garlic, cumin, curry leaves and turmeric powder and mix into the mashed tapioca . Cook it for 5 – 7 mins on low flame stirring occasionally. Drizzle some coconut oil in.
Part 2 ingredients:
Heat oil in a pan and crackle the mustard seed. Add chopped onion and curry leaves. When onions turn light golden, add coconut and fry it, till it becomes golden brown. Add this to the cooked tapioca and mix well.
Serve hot with fish curry or beef curry.
I’m using this as the basis for this recipe and will update it as I “improve” it. The original can be found here: http://mariasmenu.com/vegetarian/kappa-vevichathu-kappa-puzhukku-tapioca-recipe
3/4 cup orange juice 1/2 cup lemon juice 1/3 cup lime juice 4 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 cup soy sauce 2 tablespoon finely chopped canned chipotle pepper 1 tablespoon chili powder 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon paprika 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon black […]
Recipe stub for an experiment 2 cans chick peas drained (reserve the liquid) 2 Jalapeños roasted, skinned and seeded About 2 tbsp lime juice. (1-2 limes depending on size) 1 tbsp olive oil 1 chopped cilantro 1 tbsp tahini 1 decent sized clove of garlic salt & […]
Way simple modification to other curries I make. So delicious. Maybe I’ll add photos later.
- 3-5 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1-3 flat cinnamon, sticks/pieces (if only sticks available crush and use large pieces)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1.5 – 2 lb. chicken, cubed
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can coconut milk (chefs choice is good)
- 5-6 fresh curry leaves
- Fresh cilantro
- Steamed basmati rice (cooked w 1-2 pieces of toasted cinnamon stick and 1 tbsp butter)
- Toast the seeds. Start with the cardamom, add the fennel and cumin, add the poppy towards the end since it toasts quickly. DO NOT BURN. Coarsely grind seeds in a mortis/pestle. Remove cardamom pod shells.
- Toast the cinnamon pieces.
- Coat the chicken with the ground spices plus the chili powder, turmeric and salt.
- Cook the chicken in the butter until about 1/2 way done, incorporate tomatoes and let cook for a couple more minutes, until tomatoes start to soften. Toss in the cinnamon, coconut milk and curry leaves. Turn burner to low and cover leaving the lid askew for venting and let simmer for 30-40 minutes while the rice cooks.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Recipe stub Ingredients 2 cups plain whole milk or low-fat yogurt 2 cups grated English or Persian cucumber (unpeeled) 1 clove garlic, minced 4 sprigs fresh mint, leaves only, minced finely 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 tablespoons golden raisins Freshly ground black pepper Directions Whisk […]
Ingredients 1 Package puff pastry Potatoes (boiled, Peeled, Mashed 2Large) 1 (9- to 10-ounce) package frozen petite peas Salt To Taste Turmeric Powder 1/2Teaspoons Water Red Chilli Powder 1Teaspoons Lemon Juice 1/2Teaspoons Onion Finely Chopped 1/2Cup Garlic Crushed 1/2Teaspoons Warm Oil 2Tablespoons Coriander Finely Chopped […]
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1/8 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons channa masala
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, and ginger, and cook until browned. Stir in the garam masala, channa masala spice, tomato, water, and garbanzos; season to taste with salt. Bring to a simmer, the reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until garbanzos are very soft, about 20 minutes.